Thinking about getting your driver's license at the California DMV? Here's exactly what you need to know to get your permit, pass your road test, and get your California driver license.
Here's How to Get Your California Driver's License:
Here's what you'll need to get your California license:
- You'll need proof of your Social Security number (Social Security card or Military ID), proof of your birth date and legal presence and two proofs of your California residency (i.e. a mortgage bill, utility bill, cell phone bill, signed rental or lease agreement)
- $36, by cash or debit card
Here's what you'll need to do to get your California license:
- Create an Online Account to save time by letting you complete the application before visiting a DMV field office
- Read the California Driver Manual and take written practice tests online
- Apply for your Learner’s Permit: submit the required documents and ID and the application for a driver's license, pass the written test, pass the vision test, receive your Learner’s Permit at the DMV; consider making a DMV appointment or getting a line waiting concierge
- Practice driving by: enrolling in a driver’s education course. Here is a list of the top 10 driving schools in San Francisco, California.
- Once you're ready, schedule your road test on the DMV website or you can schedule on Skip. If you need a car or driver for your road test, you can schedule a road test concierge here
- Before your road test, visit the ultimate California DMV road test guide to find out more information about the California driving test
- Once you pass your road test you'll receive a temporary driver's license. Then, you'll receive your new Class C driver’s license via U.S. mail