Thinking about getting your driver's license at the Massachusetts DMV? Here's exactly what you need to know to get your permit, pass your road test, and get your Massachusetts driver license.
Here's How to Get Your Massachusetts Driver's License
Here's what you'll need to get your Massachusetts license:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of your Social Security Number
- Proof of residency
Here's what you'll need to do to get your Massachusetts license:
- Read the Massachusetts Driver Manual and take written practice tests online
- Complete your passenger (Class D) learner's permit application online.
- Apply for your Learner’s Permit: submit the required documents and ID at the DMV; consider making a DMV appointment or getting a line waiting concierge
- At the DMV, submit the application for a driver's license, pay the fees, pass the written test, pass the vision test, and receive your Learner’s Permit.
- Once you're ready, schedule your road test online.
- Before your road test, visit the ultimate Massachusetts DMV road test guide to find out more information about the Massachusetts driving test.
- Once you pass your road test, the examiner will stamp the back of your learner's permit and it will immediately serve as your temporary driver's license. Your permanent license will arrive in the mail within 4 weeks.
Here is Massachusetts driver's license exceptions to note:
- You won’t receive your license even if you pass the road test until you have provided the required documentation and paid all fees.