Thinking about getting your driver's license at the Michigan DMV? Here's exactly what you need to know to get your permit, pass your road test, and get your Michigan driver license.
Here's what you'll need to do to get your Michigan license:
- Read the Michigan Driver Manual and take written practice tests online.
- Apply for your Learner’s Permit: submit the required documents (here is a list of the acceptable documents) and ID at the DMV; consider making a DMV appointment or getting a line waiting concierge.
- At the DMV, submit the application for a driver's license, pay the fees, pass the written test, pass the vision test, receive your Temporary Instruction's Permit.
- Once you're ready, schedule your road skills test with a third-party testing provider. If you need a car or driver for your road test, you can schedule a road test concierge here.
- Before your road test, visit the ultimate Michigan DMV road test guide to find out more information about the Michigan driving test.
- Once you pass your road test you'll receive your Class O driver’s license via U.S. mail within 3 weeks.
Here are Michigan driver's license exceptions to note:
- Under age 18? Then you need to complete the Graduated Driver’s License program in order to earn your Class O driver’s license.
- Failed the road test? Then you will need to wait at least 1 day before you can retake it.