Here's the ultimate guide to upgrading your license to the mandatory Real ID driver license at the Florida DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Florida Real ID
Proof of lawful presence in U.S. and date of birth:
- U.S. passport;
- U.S. birth certificate (original or certified copy);
- Permanent resident card;
- Employment authorization document; OR
- Foreign passport with approved I-94 form
Proof of Social Security number:
- Social Security card;
- W-2 form or 1099 form;
- Pay stub with your name and full Social Security number; OR
- SSN Denial Notice with passport, visa, and I-94 form
Proof of Florida residency (2 forms of proof required):
- Valid Florida driver’s license
- Lease, mortgage, or rental contract
- Utility or cell phone bill (dated within 60 days)
- Credit card statement (dated within 60 days)
- Pay stub (dated within 60 days)
- W-2 form from prior year
- Vehicle insurance, renter’s insurance, or homeowner’s insurance policy for current year
- DHSMV-issued correspondence (dated within 60 days and received via U.S. mail)
- Document issued to you from state or local municipality (dated within 60 days)
- Medical or hospital statement (dated within 60 days)
- Bank statement (with images of cancelled personal checks dated within 60 days)
- Current installment loan contract for a vehicle
- Official school transcript for current year
- Letter of proof of school enrollment (dated within 60 days)
- School tuition bill for current year
$25 payment for REAL ID ($6.25 surcharge if REAL ID is obtained from local tax collector’s office)
What You’ll Do to Get Your Florida Real ID
Step 1: Visit the DHSMV (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID.
- Submit payment.
- Receive a REAL ID receipt.
Step 2: Receive your Florida REAL ID via U.S. mail.
Caveats and Exceptions
Has your name changed? Then you will need to provide an original or certified copy of a name change document such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree.