Wondering what you need and how you can renew your Alabama Driver's License? Here is the ultimate guide to quickly and easily renewing your Alabama driver license.
What You’ll Need to Renew your Alabama Driver License
For online renewal:
- Driver’s License Number
- Date of Birth
- Last 4 of SSN
- Your current address must match the address on your DL.
- Credit Card: Pay the $36.25 driver's license fee.
- Printer to print your temporary license that is valid for 30 days from the transaction date.
For in person:
- Your current AL driver's license.
- Pay the $36.25 driver's license fee.
- Pass any required examination (if applicable).
- Complete the Application for a Renewal License for Alabama Drivers Temporarily Out of State.
- Obtain a money order for $36.25 made payable to the Driver License Department.
- Gather proof of your reason for being out of state, such as a copy of your military ID and orders or your student ID and enrollment papers, or a certification letter on company letterhead from your employer.
- Provide your full name, birth date, AL driver's license number, and Social Security number (SSN).
What You’ll Need to Do to Renew your Alabama Driver License Online
- Visit the ALEA site.
- Enter your License type and information.
- Make your payment using your credit card.
- Print your temporary license. You will receive your license in the mail within 30 days.
What You’ll Need to Do to Renew your Alabama Driver License in Person
- Visit your local driver’s license office.
- Provide your current Driver’s license.
- Pay $36.25 driver’s license fee.
- Have your photo taken.
- DPS will issue you a temporary Driver’s License - until you receive one in the mail within 30 days.
What You’ll Need to Do to Renew your Alabama Driver License by Mail
Submit the completed Driver's License, Permit or Identification Card form, all the requirements, pay the fee, and surrender your existing license or submit original identity documentation.
Mail it to Alabama Department of Public Safety, Driver License Department, P.O. Box 1471, Montgomery, AL 36102.
Here are Alabama driver's license renewal exceptions to note:
- Online renewal is only permitted once every 8 years online. You are eligible to renew 180 days prior to expiration date.
- A non- refundable fee will be collected at the end of your transaction online. If for any reason the transaction is not completed your card will not be charged.
- If renewing online your address must match on your DL. Your license card will be mailed to the mailing address on file.
- You may renew your license by mail if you’ve obtained a AL driver’s license with your photo and signature within the last 4 years.
- You may renew your license in the mail if you are: Military personnel or the dependent of someone in the military, A college student who’s away from home, Or a resident who is temporarily out of state due to work.
- The Driver License Department of the Alabama Department of Safety allows you to renew your Driver’s License 180 days before it expires, and even gives you a grace period of 60 days after it expires in which your license will still be valid.
- A new photo is required every 8 years.
- If your AL driver’s license has been expired for no more than 3 years, you can renew it without examination. If the license has expired for more than 3 years, the AL DPS will require you to retake the written and or road test again.