Wondering what you need and how you can renew your New York Driver's License? Here is the ultimate guide to quickly and easily renewing your New York driver license.
What You’ll Need to Renew your New York Driver License
- Proof of identity and birth date, in accordance with NYS point system for identification (NYS identification point system)
- Proof of vision test
- $64.50 for driver’s license renewal fee
- $16 for Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District fee (if applicable)
- Completed and signed driver’s license renewal notice or Completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card Form MV-44 (If renewing by mail or in person)
What You’ll Need to Do to Renew your New York Driver License Online
- Complete a vision test - Optional: utilize an optometrist who is registered with the DMV Online Vision Registry, such that your vision test results will automatically be sent to the DMV
- Visit the MyDMV portal - Create an account; Enter all required information and submit payment via credit card
- Receive your renewed Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within two weeks
What You’ll Need to Do to Renew your New York Driver License in Person or by Mail
- Complete a vision test - Have the optometrist complete a Vision Test Report (Form MV-619)
- Complete the Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44)
- Visit your nearest DMV office in person OR mail all required documentation plus payment to the address indicated on your driver’s license renewal notice. Consider making a DMV appointment or getting a line waiting concierge.
- Address the check or money order to “Commissioner of Motor Vehicles”
- Receive your renewed Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within two weeks of the DMV’s “processing date” (not the same as the mailing date)
Here are New York driver's license renewal exceptions to note:
- Never provided proof of your Social Security number to the DMV before? Then you will need to renew your driver’s license at the DMV in person.
- Has your address changed? Then you must first change your address on the MyDMV portal before you can complete the renewal process.
- Do you live in one of the following counties (Bronx County; Kings County; New York County; Queens County; Richmond County; Dutchess County; Nassau County; Orange County; Putnam County; Rockland County; Suffolk County; Westchester County)? Then you must pay the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District fee, which is assessed as $1 for every six months that your driver’s license is valid ($16 total for the 8-year period for which your license is renewed).
- Did your license expire more than two years ago? Then you will need to apply for a new driver’s license.