Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Arizona driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Arizona driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Arizona.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to Arizona
- Proof of identity, age, and legal presence in Arizona
- Proof of Social Security number
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- Payment for Class D driver’s license fee, based on your age: 16 to 39 years old: $25; 40 to 44 years old: $20; 45 to 49 years old: $15; 50 years old and older: $10
What You’ll Need To Do
- Begin the licensing process by submitting an application with the MVD online: Complete the initial application form, Determine your specific ID requirements, Print the application paperwork to bring to the MVD.
- Visit your nearest MVD office.
- Submit the required documents and ID. The documents you choose must verify: your identity and date of birth, your SSN number, your Arizona residency, legal proof of your name change, if your name differs from that shown on your primary document, proof that your presence in the US is authorized under federal law (non-US citizens).
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the written test (if required; likely to be waived).
- Pass the road test (if required; likely to be waived).
- Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Submit the required payment.
- Receive a temporary driver’s license.
- Receive your new Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail.
Caveats and Exceptions
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Arizona REAL ID page to find out what is required.