Ultimate Guide to Transferring your Driver License to Connecticut

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Connecticut driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Connecticut driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Connecticut.

What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to Connecticut

  • Your current driver's license -  It may not be expired for more than 2 years
  • Completely filled-up Application for a Non-Commercial Driver's License (R-229 Form)
  • (2) Proofs of identity - at least (1) from Primary Documents
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of Residency
  • Legal Presence in the U.S. - (for Non-U.S. born)
  • Name Change documents (if applicable)
  • The application fee of $40 - see acceptable forms of payment
  • The license fee of $84 (If paying by check please bring two checks for this process)

What You’ll Need To Do

  1. Visit any DMV Hub Offices or Enfield Office as this service is offered here only.
  2. Submit all the required documents.
  3. Take the vision test. (Bring glasses or contact lenses if needed for testing).
  4. Pay the applicable fees.
  5. The Connecticut DMV mails all the License and ID cards. You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card.
  6. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.
Need to transfer your driver license to Connecticut?

Caveats and Exceptions

  • Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 30 days to transfer your out-of-state license to Connecticut.
  • If you are under 18 and have a driver's license from another state, you must complete additional special requirements. Please be aware of the passenger restrictions and other laws for newly licensed 16-and 17-year-olds . Connecticut does not accept a license issued to individuals who are under 16 years of age.
  • If your out-of-state license has expired for more than two years, you must obtain a Learner's Permit and you will be required to take an 8-hour safe driving practices course at a Connecticut-licensed driving school before taking skills test at a DMV office.
  • If you have lost your out-of-state license you will need to obtain a certified copy of your out of state driver history or abstract dated within 60 days. The previous licensing state will be notified of the issuance of the Connecticut license, and your previous state license will be cancelled.
  • Full time students living in Connecticut but maintaining out of state or out of country permanent residency do not have to obtain a Connecticut license as long as full-time student status is in effect. Once full-time student status is terminated (according to school records), you have 30 days to obtain a Connecticut license.
  • Military personnel and dependents stationed in Connecticut are not required to obtain a Connecticut license.  For Connecticut license holders, please see Military Personnel Renewing their Connecticut Driver's License.
  • Foreign travelers on a visitor's visa may operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for one year with a valid out of country license and an International Driver Permit which is obtained from their home country.
  • A license from American Samoa, Guam or U.S. Virgin Islands is the same as an out of state license (same requirements as above); however, you must obtain an abstract of your driver record from your home territory prior to transferring your license to Connecticut.
  • The DMV will waive the requirement for an applicant to present an abstract when transferring a non CDL license from Guam for active duty military personnel and their family members. The applicant's military identification or the family member's dependent identification must be shown.
  • A license from Puerto Rico is the same as an out of state license (same requirements as above), however the DMV office you visit will verify your Puerto Rico license with your home territory prior to transferring your Puerto Rico license to Connecticut. The DMV will notify you via mail of your Puerto Rico license status. The letter that you receive from the DMV will provide you with information on how to proceed with the licensing transaction.

Need other Connecticut DMV help?

We're here to help. Start a free 15 day trial of Skip Plus to get personal assistance and help here. We'll even help you get DMV appointments and priority access to our line waiting service.

Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.