Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Illinois driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Illinois driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Illinois.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to Illinois
- Proof of identification
- Complete list of acceptable documents
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- $30 payment for Class D driver’s license fee ($5 if 18-20 years old)
What You’ll Need To Do
- Step 1: Read the Illinois Driver Manual and take online practice exams to prepare for the written test (optional).
- Step 2: Visit your nearest Driver Services Facility (optional: make an appointment!).
- Present the required documents & ID.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the written test.
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license.
- Pay the required fee.
- Receive a temporary driver’s license.
- Step 3: Receive your Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail.