Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Maryland driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Maryland driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Maryland.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Maryland
- Current out-of-state driver's license
- Another form of identification
- Proof of your Social Security number
- Proof of your new residence with your new address
- Payment for a new driver's license: New Resident $42.00 to get into the system; First time to get a Maryland driver’s as a resident ( $72.00 )
What You’ll Need To Do
- You must pass a vision test.
- If you are exchanging an out-of-state license that has been expired for one (1) year or more, you are required to take the knowledge and skills tests.
- If you are new to Maryland you must obtain your driver's license within 60 days.
- Visit your local MD DMV office in person with the required documents and also surrender your out-of-state driver's license.
- Get your temporary license.
Caveats and Exception
- The Maryland Department of Transportation’s Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) is now printing/mailing one of the most secure driver’s licenses, learner’s permits and identification (ID) cards in the nation. All cards are now delivered through the mail within 4-7 business days.