Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a New Jersey driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to New Jersey driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in New Jersey.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to New Jersey
- Proof of identity: 6-Point ID requirements
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- Proof of U.S. citizenship OR legal presence in U.S.
- Payment for required fees: $24 for Class D driver’s license fee, $10 for license transfer fee
What You’ll Need To Do
- Make an appointment or Visit your nearest MVC office
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Receive your New Jersey Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions
- Is your out-of-state license expired? Then you will need to pass the written and road tests.
- Under age 21? Then you will need to complete the Graduated Driver’s License program to obtain your New Jersey Class D driver’s license.
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our New Jersey REAL ID page to find out what is required.