Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Virginia driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Virginia driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Virginia.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to Virginia
- Completed Driver’s License and Identification Card Application (Form DL 1P)
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, legal presence in U.S., and residency in Virginia
- Complete list of acceptable documents
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- $32 for Class D driver’s license (valid for 8 years)
What You’ll Need To Do
- Visit your nearest DMV office (optional: make an appointment!).
- Submit the required documents & ID.
- Pass the vision test.
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license.
- Submit payment.
- Receive a temporary driver’s license.
2. Receive your Virginia Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail.