Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Washington driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Washington driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Washington.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to Washington
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, and residency in Washington
- Complete list of acceptable documents
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- Payment for required fees: $35 application fee; $54 for Class D driver’s license (valid for 6 years)
What You’ll Need To Do
- Visit your nearest DOL office (optional: make an appointment!) Submit the required documents & ID.
- Pass the vision test.
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license.
- Have your photo taken.
- Submit payment.
- Receive a temporary driver’s license.
- Receive your Washington Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within 10 days.