Ultimate Guide to Transferring your Driver License to Washington


Featured Image

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Washington driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Washington driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Washington.

What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to Washington

  • Proof of identity, Social Security number, and residency in Washington
  • Complete list of acceptable documents
  • Out-of-state driver’s license
  • Payment for required fees: $35 application fee; $54 for Class D driver’s license (valid for 6 years)

What You’ll Need To Do

  1. Visit your nearest DOL office (optional: make an appointment!) Submit the required documents & ID.
  2. Pass the vision test.
  3. Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license.
  4. Have your photo taken.
  5. Submit payment.
  6. Receive a temporary driver’s license.
  7. Receive your Washington Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within 10 days.
Need to transfer your driver license to California?
Need to transfer your driver license to Washington?

Need other Washington DMV help?

We're here to help. Start a free 15 day trial of Skip Plus to get personal assistance and help here. We'll even help you get DMV appointments and priority access to our line waiting service.

Let's stay in touch

Subscribe to keep up with fresh news and exciting updates. We promise not to spam you.


driver license

transfer drivers license to washington


About UsSkip For GoodGet HelpPartner with Us

Copyright © 2022, YoGovernment, Inc. | Terms & Conditions, Privacy