Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your vehicle title at the New York DMV. We've simplified the entire process to save you time.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Vehicle Title in New York
- Completed Application for Title (Form MV-82TON)
- Completed Statement of Transaction - Sale or Gift of Motor Vehicle, Trailer, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV), Vessel (Boat), or Snowmobile (Form DTF-802)
- Proof of identity and birth date, in accordance with NYS point system for identification
- Vehicle title from the seller, including: Odometer disclosure statement; Damage disclosure statement; Seller’s signature
- Bill of sale, including: Vehicle year and make; Vehicle Identification Number; Date of sale; The sale price of the vehicle; Printed names of both buyer and seller; Signatures of both buyer and seller
- Proof of vehicle insurance. Completed New York State Insurance Identification Card (Form FS-20)
- Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption - Title/Registration (Form DTF-803) (if you purchased your vehicle before moving to New York)
- $50 for title fee; Sales taxes, license plate fees, registration fees, and vehicle use taxes (if applicable)
What You’ll Need to Do to Transfer your Vehicle Title in New York
- Visit any DMV office near you. Consider making a DMV appointment or getting a line waiting concierge.
- Submit the required documents and ID.
- Submit the required payment.
- Receive a temporary vehicle title.
- Receive your vehicle title via U.S. mail.