Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Pennsylvania. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register Your Vehicle in Pennsylvania
- Vehicle Sales and Use Tax Return/Application for Registration (Form MV-4ST) (not available online)
- Pennsylvania driver’s license or ID card
- Proof of Pennsylvania vehicle insurance
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin OR
- Existing vehicle title (in your name or signed over to you)
- Odometer disclosure statement (for vehicles purchased via private sale)
- Vehicle Identification Number verification
- Can be collected yourself using tracing paper and pencil on vehicle or by a certified inspection mechanic or notary public
- Proof of safety inspection (must be completed within 10 days of purchase or establishing residency in Pennsylvania)
- Proof of emissions inspection (if applicable)
- Existing license plates (if applicable)
- Lienholder information (if applicable)
- Payment (via check or money order payable to “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”)
- $37 registration fee
- $53 title fee ($78 with a lien recorded)
- 6% sales tax (7% in Allegheny County; 8% in Philadelphia)
- BMV transaction fee (if required)
What You’ll Do to Register Your Vehicle in Pennsylvania
- Step 1: Visit your nearest BMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Submit the required payment
- Receive a temporary title and registration
- Step 2: Receive your vehicle’s title and registration via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions in Registering Your Vehicle in Pennsylvania
- Check if your vehicle requires an emissions inspection: The Drive Clean Pennsylvania website lists the applicable counties.
- Did you purchase your vehicle for less than 80 percent of fair market value? Then you will need to submit a Motor Vehicle Verification of Fair Market Value by the Issuing Agent (Form MV-3).
How Else Can Skip Help? Whether you need assistance navigating funding for your small business — like SBA loans, grants, or other financing options, or guidance with government-related services — like TSA PreCheck or DMV appointments, we’re ready to help. Become a member and skip the red tape.