Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Virginia. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in Virginia
- Completed Application for Registration (Form VSA 14) OR completed Application for Certificate of Title and Registration (Form VSA 17A) (if vehicle has not previously been titled in Virginia)
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, legal presence in U.S., and residency in Virginia
- Complete list of acceptable documents
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- Out-of-state title OR registration card;
- Virginia vehicle title (signed over by seller; including odometer reading and purchase price)
- Proof of Virginia vehicle insurance OR $500 for uninsured motorist fee
- Power of attorney from lienholder (if vehicle is leased)
- Proof of completed safety inspection
- Proof of completed emissions inspection (if applicable)
- Payment for required fees & taxes
- Registration fee (varies based on vehicle weight and length of time)
- Complete fee chart
- $10 title fee
- 4.15% motor vehicle sales and use tax OR proof of sales tax paid out-of-state
- $64 surcharge assessed for electric vehicles
What You’ll Do to Register Your Vehicle in Virginia
- Step 1: Apply online for a Trip Permit (valid for 3 days) if you need to drive the vehicle to complete the safety inspection or visit the DMV (optional)
- Step 2: Visit your nearest DMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Submit payment
- Receive your temporary registration, registration stickers, and title plus Virginia license plates
- Step 3: Receive your Virginia registration card and title via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions in Registering Your Vehicle in Virginia
- Check if your vehicle requires an emissions inspection: view the complete Virginia Vehicle Inspection Guide.
More Virginia DMV Questions?
- Visit our Virginia DMV information page
- Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge
- In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
- Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)
How Else Can Skip Help? Whether you need assistance navigating funding for your small business — like SBA loans, grants, or other financing options, or guidance with government-related services — like TSA PreCheck or DMV appointments, we’re ready to help. Become a member and skip the red tape.