Ultimate Guide to Transferring your Driver License to Minnesota


Featured Image

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Minnesota driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Minnesota driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Minnesota.

What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Minnesota

  • Present proper identification
  • Present white and yellow copy of your successful test results
  • Present all other driver's licenses. Your license from your previous state of residence will be invalidated and returned to you. Licenses from another country are not invalidated as you may use them if you have dual citizenship.
  • Social Security number - Applicants for Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services cards are required to provide their Social Security number (SSN) on the application form. Applicants who have not been issued a SSN must certify that information on the form. Your Social Security number is private information that will be secure on the driver’s license information system and accessible only to those lawfully authorized to access it. Social Security numbers are not located on, or embedded in, driver’s licenses or identification cards.
  • Applicable Fee

What You’ll Need To Do

Step 1: Complete a Minnesota driver’s license application and provide your social security number.

Step 2: Present one primary and one secondary form of identification.

Step 3: Present your driver’s license from your previous state, this will be invalidated and returned to you if the road test is waived.

Step 4: Provide proof of passing the appropriate testing requirements.

Step 5: Pass a vision screening and have a photo taken.

Step 6: Pay appropriate fees.

Need to transfer your driver license to Minnesota?

Caveats and Exception

  • If you have a valid driver’s license from another U.S. state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Northern Mariana or Canada you must pass a knowledge test about Minnesota driving laws and regulations
  • If your license has expired for more than one year, you must also pass a skills test.
  • If you have moved from a country other than the ones listed above, you must pass both the knowledge and skills tests.

Need other Minnesota DMV help?

We're here to help. Start a free 15 day trial of Skip Plus to get personal assistance and help here. We'll even help you get DMV appointments and priority access to our line waiting service.

Let's stay in touch

Subscribe to keep up with fresh news and exciting updates. We promise not to spam you.


driver license


About UsSkip For GoodGet HelpPartner with Us

Copyright © 2022, YoGovernment, Inc. | Terms & Conditions, Privacy