Thinking about getting your driver's license at the Ohio BMV? Here's exactly what you need to know to get your permit, pass your road test, and get your Ohio driver license.
Here's How to Get Your Ohio Driver's License:
Here's what you'll need to get your Ohio license:
- Proof of the following documents: Full Legal Name and Date of Birth, Social Security number, legal presence in U.S. and residency in Ohio
- Payment - $22 for Learner’s Permit fee; $23 for Class D driver’s license fee (fee slightly reduced if under age 21)
Here's what you'll need to do to get your Ohio license:
- Read the Ohio Driver Manual and take the written practice tests online.
- Visit any DMV Office near you to apply in person.
- Apply for your Learner’s Permit: Submit the required documents and ID at the BMV and pass your vision and written test. Complete a medical form, pay the fee and receive your learner's permit; consider making a BMV appointment or getting a line waiting concierge.
- Practice driving to prepare for the road test. Once you're ready, schedule your road test on the BMV website or you can schedule on Skip. If you need a car or driver for your road test, you can schedule a road test concierge here.
- Before your road test, visit the ultimate Ohio BMV road test guide to find out more information about the Ohio driving test.
- Visit your nearest BMV office to obtain your driver’s license, surrender your Learner’s Permit, submit payment and receive a temporary driver’s license
- Receive your Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Here are Ohio driver's license exceptions to note:
- Under age 21? Then your new driver’s license will expire on your 21st birthday.
- Under age 18? Then you will need to complete a driver’s education program while you have your Learner’s Permit.