Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a Ohio driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to Ohio driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in Ohio.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to Ohio
- Proof of Identity (Your full legal name, Date of birth)
- Social Security Number
- Choose appropriate documents from this list.
- Legal presence in the US
- Ohio street address (2 documents)
- Your receipt confirmation number (will be given to you at the exam station)
What You’ll Need To Do
- Visit your nearest BMV office.
- Submit the required documents & ID.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the written test.
- Have your photo taken.
- Submit payment.
- Receive a temporary driver’s license.
- Receive your Ohio Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions
- Under age 21? Then your Ohio driver’s license will expire on your 21st birthday.
(844) 644-6268 (available Monday-Friday, 7:00am-5:30pm; Saturday 8:00am-1:45pm)
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 16520
Columbus, Ohio 43216-6520