Need to renew your passport? Here is our ultimate guide to renewing your US passport. See our quick checklist below to renew your passport as quickly and easily as possible. In most cases you can renew your passport by mail. Here's what you need to know to renew your US passport by mail.To renew your US passport by mail:
- You must have your existing US passport in good condition
- You must have been over 16 years old when your last passport was issued
- You must have had your passport issued within the last 15 years
If you meet the above requirements, you can renew your passport by mail. Below we outline the steps necessary for passport renewal by mail.Here are step-by-step instructions to renewing your passport:
- You must get current passport photos taken
- You must fill out Department of State Form DS-82
- You must get a Money Order in the amount owed made out to the Department of State
- You must mail in above documents via the US Post Office to a Passport Facility (FedEx is not accepted)
Here is the link to Department of State Passport Renewal Form DS-82. It is straightforward but here are three tips that aren't obvious on the form.
If you need to expedite your passport renewal by mail, here's how:
- At the top of the form you're asked if you want a passport book, passport card, or both. The majority of people only get the passport book. However, you may want a passport card if you travel to Mexico and Canada by land frequently. It can also be used as federal identification too. The passport card is an extra $30
- Put down the address you want your new passport mailed to so make sure this is a permanent address for you
- Putting down emergency contact information is optional. So it putting down upcoming international travel dates
Here are the passport renewal fees that the US Department of State charges:
- Instead of the $110 Department of State passport fee, you'll be $170 to expedite your passport
- You can also add a 1-2 Day Delivery option for $16.48
- You can get a Money Order and submit your expedited passport application at any post office
Here are 5 more common questions people have regarding their passport renewals that we thought you should know:
- A US passport book renewal costs $110. This is for regular processing which is 6-8 weeks
- To expedite your passport, it's an extra $60, so you'll pay the Department of State $170. Processing is 2-3 weeks
- If you need your passport faster than 2-3 weeks, you can make an appointment at a US Passport Agency, in major US cities, if you have proof of travel.
- Adding a US passport card is an extra $30. A card is good for land travel to Canada and Mexico.
- There are private services that can take care of the entire passport renewal process for you, even expediting the renewal, including door-to-door services
- You can have someone pick up and drop off your passport for renewal for you if necessary. You'll need to write a letter authorizing them to renew on your behalf.
- Proof of travel for expedited passport renewals can be flight itineraries or hotel itineraries outside of the US
- Passports must be sent for renewal via the United State Postal Service. On form DS-82 they have the address you should send your renewal documents too
- You can get a money order for your passport renewal directly at the post office and this is usually the cheapest option. It's about $1.25 for a money order.
- On the money order you need to put down your name and date of birth as well as making it out to the "US Department of State"
Pro-Tips If you aren't able to renew your passport by mail because you don't meet the above requirements, check out our regular passport informational page. Remember: if you were under 16 when your last passport was issued you need to apply as if for a new passport. If you want a convenient door-to-door passport renewal option, check out our door-to-door passport renewal option.